Recent Posts

June 21, 2014

Jane at Quiberon.

Jane at Quibéron - Oil on Canvas - 20" x 16"


We spent a few days in Brittany. Jane was fascinated by the beauty of the sea. The picture I took (see below) turned later into the above oil painting. We have added more pictures to show you the original model photograph and a few of the steps leading to the final painting.




This is the original picture taken in October 2010.

I can spend days, weeks, months (even years) on drawings, thumbnails, watercolor sketches... until I feel comfortable or motivated. Those studies are essential for me. If I try to take a shortcut, I always end up regretting it.

At some point - I can't say when or why - "it takes" me and the whole painting is then completed in a matter of hours - stretching over a few days.

And here is how the above photo (slowly) evolved into an oil painting ...


A very first and rough sketch

... Trying to catch the light and the values

Adjusting the colors, balancing the contrast
 
The final touch.
It is a lot of fun - and frustration sometimes. Highly captivating, even addictive.


No comments:

Post a Comment